Tuesday 7 August 2012

Things That Bemuse Me #5: The Hipster and The Pastel Hair Craze

Don't get me wrong, I love pastel hair, I really do. See my picture of my poor fading hair below. I dip dyed my hair pink because it was something that I've wanted to do from the age of 6.

However, what I can't understand is how now that I've left school and it's no longer against the rules, it's been gradually becoming the fashion for the last year. I'm no hipster, but I hate being 'mainstream' and the same as everybody else purely because I feel like I want to express who I am and if that becomes fashion then people will look at me as if I'm a mindless clone, or a sheep who just goes along with the herd. This is not true to my personality or intention. However, I do undeniably have pastel passion from my days of being lolita so anybody who has pastel coloured hair is +100 on my respect list. 

Anyway, my rant was not supposed to be about how people perceive me, it was supposed to be an online rambling about a quandry which has been perplexing me for quite some time now, and I would love for somebody to discuss and perhaps enlighten me to the answer.

In English, I mean 'who the heck started this?!'

My guess is that it stems from Tumblr girls, because let's face it, the famous ones are hipster. Here is a step by step guide to my current theory:

1. Hipsters on Tumblr.
2. Non-hipsters join Tumblr and follow hipsters.
3. They realize that hipsters look pretty darn cool and draw 'inspiration'
4. They end up looking exactly like a hipster.
5. Non Tumblr people see these Tumblr people who are half-hipster, see so many, copy, and it becomes in fashion.

I don't doubt that celebrities have done it also, it's just to me everybody nowadays looks hipster, just not all have the attitude. Honestly, if you're going to be hipster, why not just act it too?

Note: Yes, I do think most hipsters have an incredible dress sense and I would wear similar things if I wouldn't find it utter hypocrisy and  a walking oxymoron.

To get these posts to your mailbox, please enter your email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment